July 28, 2010

Hot Rocks

A while back eighteen25 posted several fantastic kids craft/art ideas for summer.  I bookmarked the page to save for later because I felt that the activities were a bit too old for my 3 and 4 year old.  Yesterday I needed an idea for a fun project that the older boys and I could do together (I try to do something special with them while the baby naps).

I checked the eighteen25 post again and decided that if they promised to be really careful, the boys could pull off the Hot Rocks.  The activity went even better than I had anticipated.  The boys were really careful and totally into it.  I loved this activity because once I had the hot rocks layed out on newspapers, the boys could do it independently.  They needed absolutely no help or even guidance- they just went to work on their rocks and me on mine.  They loved doing them and they are proudly on display on our front porch.

One suggestion I would make if you are to do this- pull out all brown and black crayons.  My 3 year old colored his whole rock in this dark brown and then put colors over the top, kind of just looks like a dark rock- he loves it though and that's really all that matters.  I just think the brighter the colors, the better.

1 comment:

Staci J said...

Haha! My little girl just 'made' me some rocks today:)
BTW, i gave your blog an award today!
http://justsewsassy.com/2010/08/01/thanks-so-much-for-the-blog-award/

Related Posts with Thumbnails