November 17, 2010

Baked Brie

forgive my poor photography skills, it was dark outside and I was running late... this picture does not do justice
Last weekend I was asked to bring an appetizer to a dinner party.  Appetizers are definitely not my forte, so I looked through some of favorite cookbooks to see if anything caught my eye.  I came across a recipe for Baked Brie that I thought sounded delicious, so I gave it a go.  This recipe is definitely a keeper.  It is quick and easy, delicious to boot, and looks beautiful.  It was such a hit last weekend that I took it to a baby shower this week, where it also received great reviews.  Yummy!!

Baked Brie
Ingredients: 
  • 19.6 oz. wheel of Brie cheese (this is the size that they sell at Costco- I know there are 8 oz. wheels at the grocery store, that I'm sure work just great you just might have to trim down the pastry slightly)
  • 1 Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheet (thawed for 40 minutes at room temperature)
  • 1 egg, separated
  • brown sugar
Cut wheel of Brie in half horizontally.
Sprinkle on brown sugar and replace top of the Brie.  Place Brie on the pastry sheet.  Beat the egg white with a fork and brush onto cheese and pastry.

Wrap the pastry up around the sides and the top of the Brie.  Pinch the edges to enclose the cheese completely (pinch really hard or it will come apart- learned from experience).  Beat the egg yolk with a fork and brush over the top and sides of the pastry.  Bake on a baking sheet at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.  I LOVE cheese with fruit so I served my Baked Brie with green apple slices (BTW- so delicious).  It would also be yummy served with grapes or whole-grain crackers.  It's also good the next day heated in the microwave for a few seconds.

4 comments:

ificould said...

Kimi, that looks beautiful!! What a unique appetizer... can't wait to try it!
Missy

Mike and Shayla said...

Thank you for posting this! Now I have to come up with an excuse to make it so I can eat it again sometime.

Mary said...

I can attest to its yumminess. Even the vegetables were tasty dipped into that glorious baked brie.

Mike and Shayla said...

I found my excuse! I made this tonight and everyone was so impressed with my skills, ha!

Related Posts with Thumbnails