January 6, 2011

French Banana Cake


When I make cakes I almost always make one with chocolate- really, I LOVE chocolate cake.  If I don't make something chocolate, however, this is my new favorite- French Banana Cake.  It's kind of like a REALLY yummy, REALLY moist banana bread with frosting.  Delicious!!  The recipe calls for a 9x13 but for our New Years party I baked it in a bundt pan- it took almost an hour to cook, but beautiful!  The other great thing about this cake is it tastes great the 2nd day.  Okay, on with the recipe:

French Banana Cake (from Favorites)
2/3 cup water
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 package white cake mix
2 eggs
1 1/4 cups very ripe bananas, mashed
2/3 cup walnuts, optional (but really, who wants to ruin a cake by adding nuts, yuck!)

Mix water, vinegar, and soda.  Combine with cake mix & eggs.  Stir until moistened.  Scrape bowl with spatula.  Add mashed bananas.  Beat with electric mixer 3 minutes at medium speed.  Pour into greased & floured 9 x 13 pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes (or until toothpick comes out clean).  When cooled, frost.

Creamy Butter Frosting (this makes a lot of frosting, for the bundt cake I cut it in half)
4 cups powdered sugar
4 Tablespoons soft butter
cream or milk (I use whole milk)
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix powdered sugar and butter, adding enough cream or milk to make right consistency of icing.  Add vanilla.  Frost cake and store in the refrigerator.




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails