March 31, 2010

Shredded Pork Burritos

What's this, you ask?  Kimi doing her very own tutorial?? It's true.  Several people have asked me for this recipe, so I thought I'd share it here.  It's a newer recipe that I got from my M.I.L. and it is delicious.

Shredded Pork Burritos
4 cups brown sugar, divided
1 bottle mango salsa from Costco (I'm sure you could use any mango salsa, that's just the size and kind I use)
Pork Roast

Blend 1/2 the bottle of salsa and 2 cups of brown sugar until smooth. 

Put pork roast in crockpot.  Pour blended salsa over pork and cook on low 8 hours.  Blend the remaining salsa and 2 cups brown sugar and put it in the fridge for later. 
After the 8 hours, take the roast out and throw away the salsa that the roast cooked in.  Shred the pork and put back in crockpot.  Pour the other half of the salsa/brown sugar blend (that has been in the fridge for the last 8 hours) over your shredded meat and cook until heated through.  I usually turn it up to high for about 30-45 minutes.  Serve in tortillas with your favorite burrito toppings!  This meat freezes really well.  I just divide it into dinner size portions and pop it in the freezer.  When I need a quick meal, I just throw it in the microwave. 
*As a sidenote.  When my mom makes this she does not throw out the cooked in salsa.  She just shreds the meat right in the crockpot and uses that sauce.  Really pork doesn't have a ton of fat, and I never throw out the drippings from Beef Roast or chicken- so kind of makes sense not to waste it.  Any thoughts?? 

4 comments:

House of Smiths said...

WOAH! This looks AMAZING!
I'm totally gonna try this!
thanks!
Shelley

Amy said...

Love these! They are so delish!!!

Muranda said...

yum, Kimi!

i have a similar recipe and i do not throw out the stuff i cook it in. didn't really think about it, but it might make it a little better for me if i did!

LOVE this pork...i use coke in mine as well!

Mike and Shayla said...

We tried this, and it was really yummy. I think using the blender was a great idea. The only thing I would change would be to use less sugar next time. Elise though it was too sweet too, which was funny coming from a 5 year old. Oh, and I kept it in the sauce it was cooked in.

Related Posts with Thumbnails