January 28, 2011

Scrumdiddlyumptious Cake (also known as Coca-Cola Cake)


I decided to try a new recipe for my daughter's birthday cake and this one was so good, I renamed it the Scrumdiddlyumptious Cake (hope that isn't trademarked by Wonka).  It is just sweet, chocolate goodness - unfortunately for those of you who love Coke, it doesn't taste like Coke... it just adds the perfect amount of moisture and sweetness.

SCRUMDIDDLYUMPTIOUS CAKE (aka Coke Cake)

2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 c butter
1 c Coke (no diet!!)
2 Tbs cocoa
1/2 c buttermilk*
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 c mini marshmallows

Mix flour and sugar in large mixer bowl.  Melt butter in saucepan; add cocoa and Coke and bring to boil.  Pour into flour mixture and mix well.  Mix in buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, baking soda, and salt.  Pour into greased 9x13 pan.  Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.  Sprinkle marshmallows on top and bake an additional 5 minutes until melted.  Cool cake and frost with Coke frosting.

COKE FROSTING

1/2 c butter
1/3 c Coke (again, no diet)
2 Tbs cocoa
3 1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter in saucepan; add cocoa and Coke and bring to boil.  Remove from heat and mix into powdered sugar.  Add vanilla and mix until smooth and creamy.  Spread onto cake.  Cool completely for frosting to set before serving (at least 1 hour).

DELICIOUS!!!!!  This cake is great made a day ahead!

*Note: Don't have buttermilk?  Try using 1/2 Tbs vinegar or lemon juice added to 1/2 c milk.  Trust me, it works.

Linking up:
NightOwlCrafting

4 comments:

Lisa said...

This cake looks so neat and it sounds so delicious with that double layer of sweetness on top. I have a linky party going on at my blog called "Sweets for a Saturday" and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link this up.

Amy said...

This case was definitely scrumdiddlyumptious!!!! I'm a HUGE fan!!

Jill said...

Wow, I'm so intrigued by the fact that you put soda in there, I think I will make it! Thanks for sharing :)

Jill

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

Sounds delicious. I love your name for it. I'm your newest follower. I'm having a party over at http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/ I would love if you stopped by and linked up your project.

Related Posts with Thumbnails